Just a thought, as I never recorded through arts, have you enabled full
duplex operation in the kde control center->sound->sound server->sound
I/O tab? I think you need to do this to play and record at the same time
in arts. I'm assuming that your "artsdsp rec output.wav"command was run
while you where playing something using real player.

Try something simple first, like recording a CD track. Click the red LED
under the CD slider in kmix, play a CD using kscd (or whatever), then
try "artsdsp rec output.wav". What do you get? (I've also never used
rec, so I don't know if your syntax is correct. krecord is your friend :)

Note that if you have set arts to full duplex mode, it will never
release /dev/dsp so you will *have* to use arts for all sound I/O. If
you turn off full duplex and wait for arts to disconnect (60secs by
default?) the you can try the same as above but just use "rec
output.wav". Now what do you get? Don't miss-spell and cause a konsole
beep, since arts will reconnect for the beep and you'll have to wait
60secs again.

Nick.