On Tue Jan 29, 2002 at 01:14:04PM -0800, Bryan B Whitehead wrote:

> I run XFS on about 20-30+ linux machines. Never have any problems. Our
> main reason for using XFS was RFS seems to always have some type of
> problem. I got sick of it... Also, we cannot backup RFS partitions as
> there is NO dump/restore for the FS (maybe now they do?)

[...]

I have to admit I use reiserfs almost exclusively... it's been
absolutely rock solid for me.  I've played a little with XFS and even
less with ext3, but from what I've seen I really dislike ext3... seems
to have the same limitations as ext2 (I was asked to fsck it after I
turned the machine off without shutting down...  I thought the journal
was supposed to deal with that sort of thing).

Anyways, I agree with some of the limitations of reiserfs... I don't
care too much about the lack of dump/restore... I never use it.  NFS
over reiserfs works great now...  I have no issues with NFS+reiserfs
anymore since 8.1.

I'm not even too concerned about speed... I mean, if xfs is blazing
fast compared to reiserfs, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but if it's
marginally faster, then I wouldn't worry.  However, my biggest beef
with reiserfs was the lack of quota support.

So two questions since I'm too busy to go hunting myself right now and
you seem to know quite a bit about xfs:

1) Does it support f/s quotas?
2) Is it now in the stock kernel (ie. if I download from kernel.org,
do I need to do any patches to make it work with xfs)?

I've heard about XFS acl's and such that are supposed to make using
Samba really sweet... do these same acl's (of which I know nothing)
work on the local f/s?  Ie. can I use xfs acl's to arbitrarily make a
file read-only even from root?

Thanks for any info...

--
MandrakeSoft Security, OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 6 days 22 hours 7 minutes.