M$ charges a premium.  Schools get screwed even if they receive DONATED
computers if they have M$ on them.  Many schools are also on a tight
and shrinking budget.  Why oh WHY have them waste money on M$ software
when they could do everything they really need to do on NON-M$ software?
  They could receive old computer donations and they would gain new,
useful cheap life with linux or other freeos on them.  They could still
do wordprocessing, web browsing/research, plus a LOT more for pennies
instead of hundreds and even thousands of dollars plus the threat from
visits by jack-booted M$ license thugs.
  The school could buy ONE boxed distro and stick it on as many
computers, new or used, as they wish.  The saved money could then go
into supplies like up-to-date books!  The students wouldn't start out
with an M$ brainwashing that makes most people think that PC = M$ (no
it does NOT!).  The school wouldn't be helping to feed a CLEARLY
illegal monopoly (the courts ALL agree on the illegality here) with
future braindeads...the students would actually know in their guts that
there IS more computers, the internet, technology than M$.  That is a
good thing(tm).