On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:27:56 -0800 (PST), Michael Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> 3:42pm... David Joham ran for the door shrieking:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >I have just bought  a dvd drive (12x - I hope this is enough for watching
> >DVDs) and have some qustions:
> >
> >a) Is is against the law watching DVDs on linux?
> >b) Full screen - How to get full screen with ogle?  I used Crtl-F but the
> >movie doesn't cover all the screen. It is just a retangle in the middle of
> >screen (cinemascope???).
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >Ed
>
> 12x is fine for dvds.  No, it's not illegal to watch dvds, it's illegal to
> distribute the code that bypasses encryption.  I believe you're talking
> about 'widescreen'; check the package of the movie you're watching.

Don't confuse DVD-ROM speed ratings with CD-ROM speed ratings. CD-ROM 1x speed
is equal to what is required to play an audio CD, i.e. 150KB/s.  DVD-ROM 1x
speed is equal to what is required to play a DVD video, i.e. 1.25MB/s. A 12x
speed DVD player theoretically has a peak (not average) speed of 12x this.

See http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214118,00.html for more
details.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their
        important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it."
                        -- Linus Torvalds, after a hard drive crash.