4:09pm... Sridhar Dhanapalan ran for the door shrieking:

>> 12x is fine for dvds.  No, it's not illegal to watch dvds, it's illegal to
>> distribute the code that bypasses encryption.  I believe you're talking
>> about 'widescreen'; check the package of the movie you're watching.
>
>Don't confuse DVD-ROM speed ratings with CD-ROM speed ratings. CD-ROM 1x speed
>is equal to what is required to play an audio CD, i.e. 150KB/s.  DVD-ROM 1x
>speed is equal to what is required to play a DVD video, i.e. 1.25MB/s. A 12x
>speed DVD player theoretically has a peak (not average) speed of 12x this.
>
>See http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214118,00.html for more
>details.

Movies from a dvd have to be decoded, it's not the same as listening to a
music cd at 1x.  If you're watching a movie on a player that cannot pull
the information as fast, then you're going to get choppy playback.  12x is
well beyond the days of the first dvd players and consequently, it can be
assumed IMHO that if you're using a 12x, you can watch movies.  Of course,
there are several other factors to consider, but that was all that was
asked.

Mike

--
Michael & Tracy Holt
Kirkland, WA                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]