On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 12:31, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:04:17 -0700 Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Here is a basic question, new to me.
> >
> > I recently bought a few domain names.  At this point I am still trying
> > to learn how (or if) I can use them...I have no idea as yet.  I would
> > like to be able to name my box permanently based on one of my domains
> > but do not know how to go about it.  I'd also like to have my own email
> > address (I am running postfix) that anyone can mail to.  Right now I am
> > stuck with emailing out via postfix, and receiving via yahoo (or my
> > local university mailserver).
> >
> > This is on a laptop that is connected to a university network during the
> > day and to a different network (from home) at night.  Can someone point
> > out how I might pull this off?  I would rather not be my own dns,
> > though I suppose I'd try it if I had to.  I do have tinydns available
> > but not setup on my system (Mandrake 8.1).  I dorked with it
> > experimentally for a little while but got nowhere with it.
> >
> > praedor
>
> Praedor,
>
> If you want your own mailhost, it should be avaible at the same IP address
> at all times...  moving it around will cause problems.  I won't even begin
> at trying to come up with all the failure modes...  :^)  The biggest
> problem you'd have is your mail being seriously delayed or not delivered
> at all...
>
> Assuming you have a permanent IP, usually sending mail to
> <hostmaster@??????.???> (your registrar or ISP) requesting the domain be
> pointed at your IP gets you the DNS entry.
>
> To setup your PostFix, you can check http://www.postfix.org for
> information.  I have started a postfix page at
> http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix that should help too...
>
> Since you have multiple domains, you might also want to run virtual
> domains for mail and www...  scan through my web site for more info...
>
> HTH,
> Pierre

Another thing that is helpful are the DNS services. They make it
possible to have a mailserver running on a machine that has a dynamic IP
address. I've been using one on my home machine now for almost a year.
It makes things quite nice, although the downside to being accessible is
that you have to worry about the spammers and such hitting your server.
Thats where fellow linuxers like Peirre come in and share their magic
with the rest of us. ;)

--
daRcmaTTeR

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.2beta1
 10:05am  up 2 days, 18:52,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.32, 0.51