On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Dianne Marie Montesa wrote:
[...]
> i still dont see how a fresh install could bring a
> whole network down. i dont really see any logical
> explanation for this. im a network engineer. not so
> good but i know the basics. are you saying your whole
> network freezed ? meaning, all the others on your
> network were affected after installing mandrake 8.2?
> how is this server connected to the network? hubs?
> switch?

It could potentially happen in a few scenarios (these are really
stretches though):

The user is running a Token Ring network with the very buggy Linux
drivers. A node starts beaconing, bringing down the entire network.

Or, all machines are non-updated Win95 machines. There was a bug where a
Samba server would cause certain versions of Windows to spontaneously
crash. At my last job my office was behind a glass wall overlooking the
sales department. I'd just brought up a Linux machine and actually saw
as several PCs started failing, people getting up and resetting
machines...

DHCP services are enabled on the Linux machines (not sure if this could
happen since it would need configuration).

Samba is setup incorrectly and does something weird with the PDC.

WinME machines connecting to Samba servers sometimes start slowing down.
This is a WinME bug possibly related to duplex, virus scans, oplocks,
etc.. Ethereal shows a saturated wire as the stupid WinME machines get
into a cascade of retries. The only thing that seems to help is to mount
the Samba share as a drive letter rather than a regular mount.