guys, lets get focused...

we are talking about a ***newly installed mdk 8.2
system***. there are 1001+++ ways to bring a network
down from one machine if you really had the intention
to do so. there are detailed documentations for such
(<troll>disguised as networking monitoring
tools</troll>) all over the net.

lets not even talk about how winblows tcp/ip stack
being very much vulnerable , we already know that. and
most of your examples are situations where you  bring
down winblows machines ... not necessarily the NETWORK
like what civileme cited earlier about macof.

for larry's case, to me, the only suspect is his
network card is faulty or something else beyond his
system brought down his network. certainly 8.2
shouldnt have macof enabled to bomb the user's
network<grin>. and i dont think the install scripts of
8.2 will do such damage else, everyone who already
used 8.2 would have complained of such.

it could be that it just so happen that the network
went down after his install(coincidence?). maybe he
can try expert mode install again using the same card
and see if he can replicate such occurence. or try
installing 8.2 again using a different card like what
civileme suggested.

ciao
dianne

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Dianne Marie Montesa wrote:
> [...]
> > i still dont see how a fresh install could bring a
> > whole network down. i dont really see any logical
> > explanation for this. im a network engineer. not
> so
> > good but i know the basics. are you saying your
> whole
> > network freezed ? meaning, all the others on your
> > network were affected after installing mandrake
> 8.2?
> > how is this server connected to the network? hubs?
> > switch?
> >

> It could potentially happen in a few scenarios
> (these are really
> stretches though):
>
> The user is running a Token Ring network with the
> very buggy Linux
> drivers. A node starts beaconing, bringing down the
> entire network.
>
> Or, all machines are non-updated Win95 machines.
> There was a bug where a
> Samba server would cause certain versions of Windows
> to spontaneously
> crash. At my last job my office was behind a glass
> wall overlooking the
> sales department. I'd just brought up a Linux
> machine and actually saw
> as several PCs started failing, people getting up
> and resetting
> machines...
>
> DHCP services are enabled on the Linux machines (not
> sure if this could
> happen since it would need configuration).
>
> Samba is setup incorrectly and does something weird
> with the PDC.
>
> WinME machines connecting to Samba servers sometimes
> start slowing down.
> This is a WinME bug possibly related to duplex,
> virus scans, oplocks,
> etc.. Ethereal shows a saturated wire as the stupid
> WinME machines get
> into a cascade of retries. The only thing that seems
> to help is to mount
> the Samba share as a drive letter rather than a
> regular mount.
>

> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?