I do networks too, and the only way I can think of is you have the system
setup to stomp on another IP address, like the gateway IP address being used
by your new 8.2 box...  sure as heck would bring the whole network down!!!
Course, I've NEVER done that myself... no never.... :)

I'd sure love to through a packet analyzer on the network when you throw that
box on the network. I'm betting money the box causing the trouble is using an
IP address of another, or some service/daemon is running that should NOT be
running. Maybe DNS server that shouldn't be or something. Take a deep breath,
think it over logically and it will come to you. If not, throw etherreal or
something on it and you will find it. I guarantee it. If you don't know how to
read em... one of use can maybe help you out.

Sorry, but 8.2 doesn't deserve the subject title it had, so I changed it. :)
Now no more bashing and you will get LOTS more help.