On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:36 -0500, Gérard Perreault wrote:

> I just found out that the new line of Intel chips may not run Windows 95. I
> found out using VMware that the Pentium 4 no longer supported Windows 95 and
> that you could not expect to install it on a pentium 4. My VMware under Linux
> is configured to use Windows 95 for the sole purpose of using MS-Office Word
> and Excel (which Star Office could have replaced if it wasn't for some
> merging I do between Excel and Word). That means that if I upgrade my
> computer to a pentium 4, I may be forced to buy Windows 98, unless the
> pentium 5 does not support it by that time.

OK, so what?

1. Pentium 4 is produced by Intel, not M$. Intel is up in a war against
AMD since the age of the 486ers so they are striving to keep pace with the
current state of technology.

2. Win95 was produced (let me check my calculator...) 6.5 yrs ago while
large parts of it are even a lot older. You don't expect to run a static
OS like Win95 forever on very fast evolving hardware technology?

Look at Mandrake Linux: The newer versions are optimized for 586 class
and higher. They don't run on a 486. So you may as well complain to
MandrakeSoft that you can't run MDK Linux 8.2 on your old but dear
friend, the 486.

You can always grab a different Mandrake version or any other older or
different distribution and run it on your old 486.
And you can always grab a Win98 or W2K and run it on your Pentium 4. The
difference is that you have to pay here and get it for free there. But
that's not new to the world.

> It is obvious to me that Linux and product like VMware are becoming a
> significant torn in M$ side. They will do anything they can to separate and
> slow down the Linux community. If they can get us to cease cooperating on new
> developments, the better for them. If we can start petty little wars amongst
> us, the better for them. If they can slow us down enough, they may have a
> chance to introduce yet another piece of garbage on the market. Something
> like their latest, full of bugs and security cripples.
>
> So my suggestion is:
>
> If someone complains about how bad "Linux this" or "Linux that" is. Don't
> jump in the bandwagon. Always ask for specific error messages and sequences
> of operations. You can't invent those. Lets not waste our time with petty
> frustrations. We have here a great product. M$ can't buy it and bury it
> because there is no one to buy it from. No wonder they feel threatened. Lets
> keep them that way.

Nothing to say against this. Just one thing: I'd rather see the M$
community convinced by Linux benefits than threatened. But this may be
day-dreaming....

wobo
--
Registered Linux User 228909      Powered By Mandrake Linux 8.1