1:52pm... Charles A Edwards ran for the door shrieking:

>> Lots of mail about MDK 8.2 not working well. Don't know why. Maybe those
>> people are stressing their hardware to the limit. As for me, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2
>> worked perfectly. I can't say the same for my office computer which is
>> Windows 2000. But this is not why I write.

Mandrake has released 8.2 with quite a few bugs, you may be one of the
lucky few who are using a combination of the right hardware / not using a
lot of the software packages available.  Please, no flames, I'm not
working for mickeysoft, it's just the facts.  I'm not going to even touch
8.2 until I'm sure that enough errata are addressed.

>> I just found out that the new line of Intel chips may not run Windows 95. I
>> found out using VMware that the Pentium 4 no longer supported Windows 95 and
>> that you could not expect to install it on a pentium 4. My VMware under Linux
>> is configured to use Windows 95 for the sole purpose of using MS-Office Word
>> and Excel (which Star Office could have replaced if it wasn't for some
>> merging I do between Excel and Word). That means that if I upgrade my
>> computer to a pentium 4, I may be forced to buy Windows 98, unless the
>> pentium 5 does not support it by that time.

Why would you want to mess with Intel crap?  You can check any of a number
of places which have done benchmarks and show that a P4 chip can't hold a
candle to AMD "equivalent" chips.  Check out www.anandtech.com , they do a
pretty thurough comparison; and I haven't heard a word about not
supporting one os or another.  As for vmware, it's pretty to easy to get a
copy of Win98 from less "main stream" sources, just look around a little.

Mike

--
Michael & Tracy Holt
Kirkland, WA                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]