Michael Holt wrote:

> Mandrake has released 8.2 with quite a few bugs, you may be one of the
> lucky few who are using a combination of the right hardware / not using a
> lot of the software packages available.  Please, no flames, I'm not
> working for mickeysoft, it's just the facts.  I'm not going to even touch
> 8.2 until I'm sure that enough errata are addressed.

8.1 was such a mess I'm thinking of going ahead with 8.2 this week.

> Why would you want to mess with Intel crap?  You can check any of a number
> of places which have done benchmarks and show that a P4 chip can't hold a
> candle to AMD "equivalent" chips.  Check out www.anandtech.com , they do a
> pretty thurough comparison; and I haven't heard a word about not
> supporting one os or another.

I currently have four machines with AMD chips and one (486) with Intel.
If I had to buy a motherboard today, it would probably be one that uses
an Intel CPU. Most AMD motherboards use performance crippled VIA
chipsets. How good the CPU is matters little when the primary bottleneck
is the I/O bus.
--
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that
love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/