Lyvim,
  100% correct on all accounts.  One extra point... Some people
cant/don't discharge through static band correctly.  (about 1 out of
a 1000)  High natural levels of static.  Make sure that the wrist
band is on with the metal tab connecting to the bottom of your wrist
not the top as hair will form enough of an insulator to make it
useless have it about 2 to 3 inches up from the wrist so that when
you bend the wrist it doesn't lose contact.

James

On 30 Mar 2002 13:27:46 -0500
Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote and hopefully I read right:

> One other point to make.  There are also many wierdisms that are
caused
> by something professional techs call "static wounding."  This
occurs
> when a sensitive high density IC chip (or a single discrete
transistor
> for that matter) passes through a static field.  It also occurs
when a
> non static-protected person opens a sealed static bag and touches
the
> components inside.  Static sparks jumping from the person to the
> component are also a sure sign that you don't need to waste your
time;
> go ahead and throw the component/device away.
>
> What happens is that a moving static field (like the one that's on
your
> body 90% of the time if you're not grounded) passes through the IC
> device, which induces voltage in the microscopic conductive
traces.
> This can cause the energy thus generated to jump a nonconductor
gap
> across to the next nearest tracer.  This leaves a valley in the
> nonconductor "wall" between the tracers, offtimes seeded with
vaporized
> tracer material.  Contgrats; with no prior experience, skill or
intel
> fab plant, you just created you own tracer.  That's right; you're
just
> that good.
>

> The correct procedure to follow when you are working on your
computer is
> to wear a static wrist band, and to keep your computer components
away
> from nonconductor surfaces.  (read: carpet).  Anti static spray is
not
> reliable.  Static wrist bands are available from your local Radio
> Shack.  To avoid electronic mea culpa and endless firehose
quantities of
> frustration, I recommend that anyone working on a peripheral or
mobo
> wear a grounded static wrist band until the box is closed up.
Touching
> the case is not totally reliable, since you can generate several
> thousand invisible static volts just by raising your arm, if you
have
> any sort of synthetic garment on.  In other words your static
shadow
> just regenerates in short order.
>

> I'd venture to say that from what Ive seen, about 80% of all
RMA's,