Guy Zelck wrote:

> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 14:06, Guy Zelck wrote:
>>
>>> I've installed it and ran it for 6H without any errors popping up. I
>>> personally don't believe it's the memory which is in fault.
>>> As if the devil was involved I had a freeze again just after
>>> boot-up. I followed the Alt-SysRq-... sequence to finally reboot but
>>> then again I had my KDE files corrupted. What I don't understand is
>>> how that crap is written to my config files. If xfs writes  what it
>>> finds in its xfs log then it would mean that the xfs log contains
>>> rubbish. How did this rubbish get in there or is it taking a wrong
>>> part of the log.
>>>
>>> Is the xfs that's used in md8.2 still the same version or is it a
>>> higher version? Maybe upgrade?
>>>
>>> When I boot up the only fsck I ever notice amongst Aurora's output
>>> is the one of my /boot partition (ext2), is this supposed to be like
>>> that? I suppose Fsck in rc.sysinit just  re-directs the output to
>>> syslog.
>>>
>>> Guy.
>>>

>> Guy,
>>
>> The SCSI bus chain needs to be terminated on both ends.  By that I mean
>> that the adapter itself needs some termination (usually set to automatic
>> in the bios in the case of the Adaptec models (I have an Adaptec 3940U
>> dual channel PCI installed in this machine btw).
>>
> Yes, I know all this. My adptr is on automatic and I use a terminator
> on the internal flat cable's far end. The external scsi bus goes to a
> jazz drive (automatic termination selected) and then into a old pc box
> I stashed with a few big Seagates ST42400N (big & heavy
> motherfuckers), an ARCHIVE 1/2" tape drive & an Hexabyte 8mm drive
> (now you know all) on a terminated flat cable.
> My scsi setup never gave me any problems.
>
>> This includes your 2940.  I think you said that you don't have access to
>> the Adaptec bios anymore. There happens to be a "quiet" option in these
>> cards that turns off the verbose bios access message when the card bios
>> is loading.  HOWEVER THE OPTION IS STILL THERE. This may be your
>> problem.
>>
> It's not that. I still see the Ctrl-A msg but once having chosen this
> the card itself reports that it can't see any scsi controller so I
> can't get to any of the menus. This is only so on my new computer and
> I only discoverd this recently. Strangely enough it functions normally
> like this. Now I've heard that there are some particular pci slots
> with fixed IRQs or sth.,  I should try moving the card to another pci
> slot. Or is the pci standard too new for the card?
>
> Back to my file corruption problem which I can reproduce whenever I
> want (and when I don't want), I think the one thing I could do to rule
> out xfs as the culprit is either go for a recent kernel (2.4.18) in
> which a newer xfs is compiled or back up every fs, re-create them with
> reiserfs on them and then restore the backups. Then test and see if
> [...]
It's me again with some conclusions.

First of all, the problem has nothing to do with the SCSI card (remember
my linux os runs on a IDE disk but I also have a scsi card). The fact I
can't get  to my scsi-card BIOS anymore is due to the fact that the PCI
slots share  IRQs. My old AHA-2940 card can't handle this seemingly.
Even when indicating to my mb BIOS that I do not have a pnp capable os
and resetting its build up irq database there's no way I can get to the
scsi-card bios (ctrl-A on bootup), the card reports it can't find itself!
I took out this SCSI card altogether and waited for file corruptions to
emerge after inpromptu shutdowns. I didn't have to wait long, same file
corruptions (files filled with nulls, ^@) were detected.
So the first conclusion is that there is sth. wrong with xfs in the
2.4.8 kernel.

My next step will be to try out the latest version of xfs; either
compiled in 2.4.8 or in 2.4.18.

Greetings,
Guy.