On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 15:20, Guy Zelck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I share a disk with a M$ OS I seldom use. This disk holds a vfat32
> partition.
> Since I nearly allways use my md8.1 and this partition is mounted
> automatically it should be checked.
> I don't think the rc.sysinit file takes this into account, it's to say
> that this calls fsck via Fsck and fsck is a front end to a fs specific
> checker, e.g. when dealing with an ext32 it will call fsck.ext2.
> So in the case of our vfat fs it will search for fsck.vfat which doesn't
> exist.
> Now I looked around on my system and there is dosfsck which is what we need.
> I could make a symlink 'ln -s /sbin/dosfsck /sbin/fsck.vfat' or edit
> rc.sysinit to call dosfsck to make it work.
> Is using dosfsck a good idea or is there a better (safer) alternative?
> I we rely on M$'s OS to do the repairing we oblige ourselves to boot
> into Windows after a lock-up. It's maybe safer but if it can be avoided ...
> I'd like to hear from one of Mandrake's technicians what they think.
> Civileme ...
>
> Thanks,
> Guy.

While we are waiting for Civ to get here, I can put in that I've fixed
problems with vfats with linux utils.  Bad ones. I've done everything
from the partitioning right up to the point where 98 gets installed with
the linux utils.  In fact, if you have XP and you put it on an NTFS
partition, it's best (from what I understand) to do the NTFS creation
with Linux, and then install XP afterwards.  Otherwise, if the XP disks
do the NTFS conversion, I've been given to understand that Linux can't
properly access the partition.  Not so if Linux creates it.

As to fixing problems with vfats using Linux, I've done that, and it's
saved my butt a few times, because offtimes the vfat filesystem can get
so crapped that fixing it from scandisk(dos) is not a possibility.
Unless you happen to have a dos bootdisk prepared.  But even then, I've
been surprised with the effectiveness and dependability of the Linux
utils as compared to the native dos stuff.  Fixing a vfat drive from
inside linux (a truly unbiased/independent/seperate standpoint) has
definite advantages.  The only reason I stop short of using the
adjective "superior" is because I haven't conducted rigorous tests to
back that view up.

YAWN (Yet Another Wooden Nickel),

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1