> It's me again with some conclusions.
>
> First of all, the problem has nothing to do with the SCSI card
> (remember my linux os runs on a IDE disk but I also have a scsi card).
> The fact I can't get  to my scsi-card BIOS anymore is due to the fact
> that the PCI slots share  IRQs. My old AHA-2940 card can't handle this
> seemingly.

What about putting the card into different slot? I think PCI irq lines
should be shifted between slots.

> Even when indicating to my mb BIOS that I do not have a pnp capable os
> and resetting its build up irq database there's no way I can get to
> the scsi-card bios (ctrl-A on bootup), the card reports it can't find
> itself!
> I took out this SCSI card altogether and waited for file corruptions
> to emerge after inpromptu shutdowns. I didn't have to wait long, same
> file corruptions (files filled with nulls, ^@) were detected.
> So the first conclusion is that there is sth. wrong with xfs in the
> 2.4.8 kernel.
>
> My next step will be to try out the latest version of xfs; either
> compiled in 2.4.8 or in 2.4.18.

Interesting. I didnt have any fs corruption with XFS and 2.4.8 kernel
but with 2.4.17 I turned off the computer and one of my partitions could
not be mounted at all. After fsck it went online again, but I dont know
what got lost in the process.