Randy Kramer wrote:

> Thanks, but IIRC, that didn't work for me (that was one of the things
> that I know I tried).  Sometimes when I was in recording *and* insert
> mode, one or more <esc>s got me back to recording mode only, but did not
> cancel recording mode.
>
> Guess I'll have to try it again next time, except I hope there is no
> next time. ;-)

OK, I'll bite. I can always learn something new, and enjoy it. What is
"recording mode" in vi? I know you don't mean insert mode, and I don't
think you are talking about the commands for copy and pasting. So do
help me out, and let me know what I am missing. It is probably some
function I should know..

Thanks,
J. Craig Woods
UNIX SA