hi list,

firstly, im a woman and i dont have anything against
establishing linux organizations or groups that cater
for particular groups like women ... or
men/gays/lesbians too (if there are such groups). if
the particular organizations/groups do help them, then
good for them. so, guys can also participate on the
linuxchix group ... whats the difference then to
local/international LUGs or this mandrake list or the
kernel mailing lists? you can voice out in this groups
and mailing lists too.

in my opinion, establishing these groups would divide
the linux or bsd community more (just like how distro
users already divide the linux community instead of
uniting to topple the EVUL-EMPIRE) and would limit
your knowledge to only those things that this
particular organization/group can offer. there are
things/info or tips & tricks that men know that women
dont and vice versa. and on mailing lists, there are
stoopid questions asked by guys too so why should
girls be intimidated by them (guys, no offense <grin>)

and yes, i do agree that girls are scared off
sometimes in linux mailing list but i think (based on
MY experience), its not really prevalent. some LUGs
that i joined in really support girls/women that use
linux and they really try to help out... i think they
(guys) help out more when they know you are a girl.

i do believe that, in general, the current
organizations/groups dont really treat you based on
what gender you are. they wouldnt even know you are a
girl if you dont put your real name in there.

to me, to be able to take advantage of using a great
OS, you should be open minded and never never make
things personal. on mailing lists or chats too, just
pick up things you can use or those that are relevant
to your situation. dont dwell too much on
personalities cause you cant control that. if you want
to learn more, be neutral.

maybe if the group's objective is more into gathering
all women all over the world to support statistics
that women DO use linux and DO KNOW how to use it ...
or establishing online-friendships/advocacy and more
into encouraging WOMEN to use linux .... i think i
will be the first to sign up.

my one cent.

cheers,
dianne

--- Ron Stodden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >From the Sydney Morning Herald, Australia:
>
> Linux grrls break free
> By Adam Turner
> April 2 2002
>
> A locker-room mentality inherent in many user groups
> and mailing lists
> was the catalyst for an online
> sexual revolution - resulting in an Linux user group
> targeted
> specifically for women.

<snipped>