Dianne Marie Montesa wrote:
> hi list,
>
> firstly, im a woman and i dont have anything against
> establishing linux organizations or groups that cater
> for particular groups like women ... or
> men/gays/lesbians too (if there are such groups). if
> the particular organizations/groups do help them, then
> good for them. so, guys can also participate on the
> linuxchix group ... whats the difference then to
> local/international LUGs or this mandrake list or the
> kernel mailing lists? you can voice out in this groups
> and mailing lists too.

I think the difference here is that LinuxChix fall all over themselves
to welcome newbies and specifically women-newbies (?).  A condition of
being in this community would be a general tolerance of newbie
questions.  a niche, perhaps.

> in my opinion, establishing these groups would divide
> the linux or bsd community more (just like how distro
> users already divide the linux community instead of

I have to disagree.  everyone get's a little something different, no one
is alienated.  besides, if we all wanted the same thing...

> maybe if the group's objective is more into gathering
> all women all over the world to support statistics
> that women DO use linux and DO KNOW how to use it ...
> or establishing online-friendships/advocacy and more
> into encouraging WOMEN to use linux .... i think i
> will be the first to sign up.

if i'm not mistaken (it has been a while since i've been there), this is
a major part of their purpose.  the only reason I didn't join a while
back is there was no one maintaining it (at the time) and there was
little activity.  I'm encouraged that someone has taken over and it's
getting some good press.
offered respectfully...

--
Jason Guidry