You're right, these mailing lists are dominated by men.  For so long
this sort of technical interested was thought to be the domain of men.
Fortunately that age is disappearing and we have more and more women
interested, developing and doing damn good work in the field.  And
that's why I think LinuxChix is a good idea.

At present, just for the Mandrake Expert and Newbie list, I've only
noticed a handful of women on the list.  There may be many more, but
I've only noticed a handfull.

The LUG I deal with has maybe two woman.  And I believe they're room
mates who work for the university IT department.  I ~think~ that's it.

But, personally, I've known women who have shyed away from LUGs and/or
mailing lists because some of the practices that go on.  Mainly
attributed to being made up almost entirely by men.

I know I've seen some things said on the Mandrake lists that women may
take offense to due to sexist suggestions.  Or the "poor woman" response
I've seen on the list as well.  I've noticed how the same question asked
by one of the lists women gets 15 response.  Yet the same question from
a "New Guy" gets ignored.

I'm pretty sure the woman of the lists woud like the same respect as
anybody, that people aren't answering their questions because somebody
took pity on them.

Maybe I'm the only one seeing/noticing this, I don't know.  But I think
that LinuxChix is great way to introduce Linux to more people.  And the
way they deliver information is very well done I believe.

Some could see the different distrobutions as a bad thing for Linux.
Other see it as a good thing.  It's part of the choice.  It shows the
diversity.  But I can see how people would see that as a step back as
well.

But, unfortunately, just because we're OPEN Sourced, doesn't mean we're
OPEN minded.

*tosses his penny in the pot*

tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091