J. Craig Woods wrote:
> How will knowing the filesystem help? You say the partition is still
> there, and "untouched". Well, my friend, if you have re-formatted the
> drive, it is not *untouched*. As a matter of fact, it is touched in a
> big way. Your data is gone, gone, gone. Now if you only deleted the
> partition by removing boundaries, there is help. It is complicated but
> you can recover data.

Interesting subject that I'd like to learn more about.

My impression is that Linux does something by default more like what is
called a "quick format" in dos / Windows.  IIUC, such a format doesn't
"zero out" all the data, but does something different which, I believe
leaves the data intact on the disk, but not easily readable.  Maybe
there is a way to recover the data?

There are ways to recover deleted files in Linux, especially if they are
text files.  IIUC, it is not fun -- you basically read the disk "raw"
and then try to reassemble the files from clusters or whatever.

The original poster did do a good thing (I think) if he tried to avoid
using the system after he formatted the drive -- the most important
thing in recovering files in dos / Windows is to stop saving files until
you can run a file recovery program, as any new file might overwrite
some portion of the deleted file.

I know I'm mixing "deleted file" and "formatted partition" and probably
confusing the issue -- may someone can clarify some of these points?

Randy Kramer