Klar Brian D Contr MSG/SICN wrote:
> There are ways to bring back the data, even after a format. One utility
> for linux is http://www.r-tt.com/RLinux.shtml

I would be very incredulous about using this utility. It is only for
win32 platforms. Can it be used on Linux? Well, yes, all you need to
have is a machine that runs windows, in addition to the box running
linux. You then pull you linux drive out, and place it in the windows
machine. I reiterate, you can only load this program on a windows box. I
guess if you are dual booting both windows and linux that would make
life much easier for the recovery process. In looking at the
documentation for RLinux (why they call a binary *.exe file a linux
program is beyond me), it does not say much about recovering files from
a re-format. They do talk a lot about recovering deleted files though.

I guess the bottom line is never say never about anything that can or
can not be done with a computer. Hell, if you really need those files
that got re-formatted, just yank your harddrive, carry it down to your
local FBI, and tell them you received this drive from some unknown
source originating from somewhere in the middle east. I am sure they
will have a way to recover all data on that disk....

Dr John,
the night tripper