On Monday 08 April 2002 08:19 am, you wrote:
> J. Craig Woods wrote:
> > How will knowing the filesystem help? You say the partition is still
> > there, and "untouched". Well, my friend, if you have re-formatted the
> > drive, it is not *untouched*. As a matter of fact, it is touched in a
> > big way. Your data is gone, gone, gone. Now if you only deleted the
> > partition by removing boundaries, there is help. It is complicated but
> > you can recover data.
>
> Interesting subject that I'd like to learn more about.
>
> My impression is that Linux does something by default more like what is
> called a "quick format" in dos / Windows.  IIUC, such a format doesn't
> "zero out" all the data, but does something different which, I believe
> leaves the data intact on the disk, but not easily readable.  Maybe
> there is a way to recover the data?
>
> Randy Kramer

I know DOS used to do Quick formats...and all it did was erase one letter in
a chain of fixed files.

IE, filename.txt becomes ?ilename.txt.

Undelete for Norton Utilities would attempt to "guess" the missing letter.
If its wrong, it doesn't matter you can still access the file IF the appended
format is correct.  Iow, if the .txt extension is there, its still readable
later.

Femme