On Monday 08 April 2002 08:00 am, you wrote:
> Experts,
>
>     I need some pointers for installing LM 8.2 as 3rd OS. I am using
> Partition Magic to free up 10G of unused space on my first drive. My
> current setup is as follows:
>
>     Drive 1:
>
>     20G WD (I know its a WD, but it was cheap). Currently a single
> partition holding Win98. I will use Partition Magic 7.0 to resize this
> into 2 10G partitions;

I don't have a prob with WD's ;p

>     Drive 2:
>
>     1.6G WD  Currently running LM 7.2 (Ext 2)
>
>     Drive 3:
>
>     Fat32 data drive

If you're installing your LM to this drive ^^, then fine.  However, *big
caveat here*, don't let PM do anything but make an ext2 partition.  One big
one.  Let LM do its own partition.

>     Does anyone have any pointers or gotchas that I should watch out
> for? This is my first attempt with partition magic.
>
>     Should I let partition magic create the primary and swap Ext 2
> partitions, or should I just create the unused space and let the LM 8.2
> install create the partitions?
>
>     How will this effect my current grub config for the Win98 - LM7.2
> dual boot?
>
>     Any help will be greatly appreciated.......

I use PM 7 Pro.  The only gotcha! I found is that if I used ReiserFS, it led
one partition to "bleed" or something *the CHS & Sectors didn't match I
think* if I let LM create the parts.  Problem is that PM won't do anything
bug EXT2 partitions.  Which sucks ofc, but...what can you do?

I create a single EXT2 partition first, a big one.  Ten gig in your case.
Then I use the setup for LM to make the partitions whatever sizes I want.
Otherwise, I have found LM doesn't have such an easy time dealing with them.
Maybe's that changed in 8.2?  For 8.0 & 8.1 I had to use the above method or
I got some weird partition bugs.

HTH
Femme