On Tuesday 14 May 2002 01:29 am, you wrote:
> Guys, if you're in the market for some new technology for under your
> hood, I strongly suggest that you check out the 18 mainboard lineup that
> just came out as of May 9th on Toms:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/index.html
>
> These boards are using the new VIA Apollo KT333 chipset; its the one
> I've been waiting for, so I could upgrade.
>
> There is one board that evidently came out too late for their tests,
> which took over two weeks.  It's one I'm personally watching:
>
> http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/products_shortcut.jsp?pPRODUC
>T_TYPE=MotherBoard&pMODEL_NAME=KX7-333R
>
> However, no matter how good the Abit board looks on Abit's home site,
> I'm not going to buy it until it's been reviewed in a roundup.  I'm in
> the market for a mobo upgrade.
>
> As it sits, judging from the roundup, I'm looking strongly at either the
> Epox 8k3a+, or the Enmic 8TTX2+.  The Gigabyte got a strong review, but
> if a mobo doesn't have at least 7 slots, it's not interesting.
> Overclocking features are important too, which both the Epox and Enmic
> have.  I wish he'd go ahead and update this roundup with the Abit
> KX7-333R, so I could finalize a decision.
>
> L8r, LX

LX:
Skimming through the article, I noticed that some of these boards have gone
to a USB-only configuration -- no serial or parallel ports.  Given that these
boards are aimed at end-users and not OEM's, this does not sound like a
Really Good Idea to me. In my case, it would mean adding the cost of a new
printer and a new modem to the overall project cost, and those are not
trivial costs. Besides, my present modem and printer work just fine, thank
you.
-- cmg