On Tuesday 14 May 2002 03:35 pm, David Rankin wrote:
> Great heads up!,
>     I'm in the market for a board and love Abit. Keep of posted if
> you get info in the Abit review.....
>
> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > Guys, if you're in the market for some new technology for under
> > your hood, I strongly suggest that you check out the 18 mainboard
> > lineup that just came out as of May 9th on Toms:
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/index.html

   One Abit board has finally made it back to the AMD approved list
after long being a vendor to avoid.  I wouldn't buy a board not AMD
approved.  And ... I believe it's not quite time to upgrade an AMD
system till the Thorobreds come out.  More importantly tho, while I
think Tom's is a good site.....  it's still primarily a Windoze
review site.  Heck even Dell's sometimes sort'a work OK with Linux ;>

   Just 'cause a board garners rave reviews with Windoze, there's no
guarantee (MOF, just the opposite more'n more lately) it'll work as
well or be as supported by the OS, as it is by the Win-tel/nvidia/
ati/creative/dell, etc. gang. EG, most all of Tom's boards
incorporate Win-fake-raid. Also, preliminary reports I've seen are
that ddr333 offers none, to very little improvement over 266 (much
the same as with ata/133 over /100). One advantage tho is if you get
marginal ddr333, it might run as ddr266 at cas2 (bettr'n 333 at
CL2.5).   So buy quality (micron, infineon) ddr333 now while it's
cheap, wait for the (Linux) dust to settle on the rest of the cuttin'
edge hardware.
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas