On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 10:52, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> I don't have any URLs; I'm just heard/read anecdotes about this. It just may be
> that USB devices do more than their PS/2 and serial versions. For instance, I
> read a review on the USB optical Intellimouse a few months ago. The reviewer
> said that the mouse was far more accurate and responsive in USB mode, but when
> he tried to use it in Quake 3 it slowed his machine so that he couldn't play it
> properly. He switched to PS/2 mode using the supplied adaptor, and the mouse
> became less responsive but also less-taxing on the CPU.

This isn't a bandwidth problem, there's no way it could be.  Therefore
it must be one of three other things: driver bugs (immaturity),
peripheral device bugs, or USB chipset bugs.  Usually I've seen chipset
bugs worked around with driver fixes, many times before in the past; I
suspect the trend will continue successfully.

> > also need some performance numbers in regard to the chipset platform
> > that is giving you the USB functionality.  Quite naturally, this is
> > going to be giving different performance results depending on which
> > chipset platform you choose; i.e., Intel or Via.  "Performance" in this
> > context meaning both CPU utilization and USB bus throughput.
>
> I'd love to see a performance comparison of the different buses. Does anyone on
> the list know of any?

I did'nt see this note until now; I posted another reply to one of your
posts including a URL I located after you raised the topic of USB CPU
utilization last night; check it out.  :)

Plus I posted some more mainboard bits.

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1