* Femme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020525 16:00]:
> Question:  The drive all the info is on is a FAT32 30GB partition of a
> 60GB drive.  You said i should dump all teh files into a directory
> (/var/www/html) yet I know they won't fit in here because my Linux
> partition is only 10GB total. So...is there a way to point apache or
> something to that drives directory & tell it to serve files from where
> they are now?  That is:  My mp3 directory is on /hdb1/mp3.  Will apache
> be able to find/point to<?> that directory & just show users to that
> directory when they login?  Let them d/l their files, logoff.  As I
> cannot put all those mp3's on my linux partition thats the best idea I
> have.

You might look in /etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf  and near the end
you will probably find an example where Apache is being told it can
serve up its own manual, like:

<Directory /usr/share/doc>
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   etc.
</Directory>

You could make an entry for your directory on /hdb1/mp3 and then put a
symlink from your document root to that directory.  I'd have to look
at the Apache manual to decide what I wanted users to be able to do,
but I think a symlink like:

ln -s /hdb1/mp3 /var/www/html/index.html

MIGHT do it.  I haven't ever done it this way; I would make a simple
page as index.html that would then refer them to your mp3 dir.

I always spend a little time with the Apache manual before I mess with
Apache settings, though ... remember a web server is always a security
risk since it is available to the outside world.

Note: you can also allow access by username and password if you want,
but that's another story  ;-)

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz