On Saturday 25 May 2002 11:25 pm, Femme wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002 20:50:16 -0700
>
> James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Check your commonhttpd.conf file, (/etc/httpd/conf/ ) but usually the
> > default allows you to follow symlinks (in the past) if not look for
> >
> > # Each directory to which Apache has access, can be configured with
> > respect# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in
> > that# directory (and its subdirectories).
> > #
> > # First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
> > # permissions.
> > #
> > # Also, for security, we disable indexes globally
> > #
> > <Directory />
> >     Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks
> >     AllowOverride None
> > </Directory>
> >

> > and make it look like the above.  Then go to var/www/html and type ln
> > -s/absolute/path/to/my/directory directory  This will then be the same
> > as moving them physically there.  It's a hack........ but it works.
> >
> > James
>
> *giggles* Hacks are cool.  Thx mucho James.  I'll try your idea &/or
> ndiscreets.  Not sure which yet will yield better results.
>
> As an aside, any chance someone can point me to a "newbie-fied" apache
> install/maintenance URL?  I'm pretty useless with HTML/web
> stuff...having never tried it, but am a fast learner *Smiles*.
>
> Thx for all you guys' help!  I hope to get this working soon...lord
> knows I've learned alot since I asked what I thought was a simple
> question. Heh, never underestimate the power of linux to make it complex
> fast :)
>
> Femme
As far as the apache maintenance, that would depend on what version you are
currently using (ie apache 1.3 or apache 2.0). HTML/web tutorial, I would
recommend http://www.webmonkey.com.

Altoine B
Maximum Time Unlimited
Chicago Based and Operated
The Great Movie Posters:

SCENES THAT WILL STAGGER YOUR SIGHT!
-- DANCING CALLED GO-GO
-- MUSIC CALLED JU-JU
-- NARCOTICS CALLED BANGI!
-- FIRES OF PUBERTY!
        SEE the burning of a virgin!
        SEE power of witch doctor over women!
        SEE pygmies with fantastic Physical Endowments!!!
                -- Kwaheri (1965)

The Big Comedy of Nineteen-Sexty-Sex!
                -- Boeing-Boeing (1965)

AN ASTRONAUT WENT UP-
A "GUESS WHAT" CAME DOWN!
        The picture that comes complete with a 10-foot tall monster to
give you the wim-wams!
                -- Monster a Go-Go (1965)
2.4.18-16mdk
Mandrake Linux release 8.3 (Cooker) for i586