Tom Brinkman wrote:

>>I build all my drivers from tar.gz, BTw there is a new driver set
>>(2960) but I will postpone the installation till I fix this.
>>

>      Just 'cause they're 'tar.gz' doesn't mean you can compile the
> nvidia binaries for your system.  The source in the tarballs is just
> a wrapper around nvidia's closed source precompiled binaries.  If
> there really was any useful source in those tarballs, XFree86 could
> support 3d accel for nvidia cards, and we wouldn't hav'ta depend on/
> trust nvidia to get it right.

I know that. I just mentioned it because you asked if I was using the
right driver for my kernel.

>     I keep several XF86Config-4's in /etc/X11/.  I save the original
> as XF86Config-4-nv, and when I edit a copy for nvidia, I save it as
> XF86Config-4-nvidia. I only use the nvidia 3d accel occasionally
> (when testing the latest FlightGear release). I often change kernels
> and compile my own, as I saw you do also in your original post.  I've
> found the nvidia binaries to be very fussy about the kernel. Often
> the most apparent symptom is problems with freezes. A simple
>  'mv XF86Config-4-nv XF86Config-4'  (ie, going back to the open
> source XFree86 'nv' driver) fixes 'em as soon as X is restarted ;)

I used to do almost exaclty the same thing, I actually made a shell
script to exchange the configuration files. But now I just
uncomment/comment the relevant lines. :^)

>    Clean the dust out for sure. You should do that regularly anyhow.
> Screw a cheap little 'cpu type' fan on the nvidia cards heatsink if
> it doesn't already have one (it needs one).  If the ram passes
> memtest86, then see if the system can run cpuburn for at least an
> hour ( http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/ ).   The cpu temps you're
> reporting are from an external probe, are only a guess at best, and
> could possibly be very much lower than actual internal core temps.
> At least 10 to 20C lower, maybe as much as ~30C.  Bad ram can
> sometimes pass all memtest86 tests with flyin colors, but I'll bet a
> weak system can't run cpuburn ;>

Yep, the internal temperature ought to be higher; but that's what we got
to work with right? I mean, my system runs no hotter than an average
Duron system; it's not a heating problem. I'll try the program you
recommended.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

shinjiteiru shinjirareru,
korekara aruku kono michi wo!