I've had great luck with PCTel modems in over 20 Linux and Windows installs.  I've
never had problems with them in Linux, but I did have one Windows box that continually
locked up with it.  Actually, the problem only surfaced after installing a
soundblaster live card.  My solution was to replace the modem (I only paid $6 for it
on pricewatch).  But like you said, once the drivers are installed, even removing the
modem won't help.  The drivers need to be removed, too.

I never really could determine what the problem was, but it was strange that the
computer that would lock up with the PCTel modem in windows, dual booted to Linux and
NEVER had a problem locking up in Linux!  I wish PCTel would officially release Linux
drivers, then it could be a Linmodem that works under windows.

Joe