On Mon, 27 May 2002 15:11:13 -0400
et <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snip> I haven't tested the memories yet, but the fact that
> window$ does not freeze (there were some DLL errors as usual of
> course,> but no freezes.) makes it unlikely to be a pure hardware
> problem, IMHO.<end snipped section>

Not always... Windows actually does a better job of "mapping around" bad
memory blocks than Linux.  There does exist somewhere a tool for Linux
that allows you to "block" bad sectors in ram. (need a 125 meg ram
stick?) but it's not a pretty picture.  Windows is capable of doing this
"on the fly" so to speak so if ram is bad it isn't that obvious. I've
got 3 ram sticks in my wifes windows box that work fine there but if I
run memtest on them the have a cumulative 7 megs of bad sectors.
Windows just maps around it and continues.  Linux doesn't. (If I put one
of these sticks in my box IF it boots I get freezes and all kinds of fun
stuff.)

James