Here's the situation:
I am running Mandrake 8.1, mostly kept up to date through the
MandrakeUpdate program. I was using kdm for my login manager, but Gnome
for my desktop. The default was KDE, but I always let it use my "last"
session, which was Gnome every time. I recently installed Ximian
desktop, and replaced kdm with gdm for my login manager. I have two
problems with gdm:
        1. It refuses to remember my last session after rebooting (this
is a laptop, so I reboot at least twice a day, when travelling from home
to the office and back). Therefore if I forget to select Gnome the first
time I login, I end up in KDE and must logout and then login again,
selecting Gnome in the process.
        2. It will not remember the default desktop if I change it to
Gnome. After a reboot, it is always reset to default to KDE, which
leaves me back at problem #1.

Is this a known issue? I have run gdmconf a number of times, and it
seems to accept my change to default the desktop to Gnome, but after
rebooting it is always back to KDE again.

--
Dave Sherman               Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA             for you are crunchy,