Yes,  I had already made that change in order to be able to use gdm in
the first place.

I should also point out that kdm works perfectly, remembering my last
session, even though the default is still kde. As long as I log into
Gnome, then I will get Gnome the next time -- even after a reboot.

Also, for what it's worth, I ran into this problem a number of months
ago when I did not have Ximian yet. I figured since I was running Gnome
I might as well use gdm for my login manager. But after a week of
screwing around with it, I gave up and went back to kdm because I knew
that kdm *worked*.

My only conclusion can be that Mandrake's version of gdm is flawed, and
installing Ximian did not overcome the problem. Perhaps it is one of the
startup scripts, overwriting any changes that are made to
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf or some other file?

Dave

--
Dave Sherman               Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA             for you are crunchy,