There was a thread on this very problem a while back.  Go to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and search for the
subject "cannot set gnome as default session".  In one of my posts, I
described what I thought to be the problem, but I don't remember whether
my suspicions were confirmed or denied.  I do believe it's a software
flaw.

I have 8.2, and I don't remember if the problem still exists (I've been
using KDE for a while). But I'll tell you what I did to "hack" a
solution: since fndSession calls "chksession", I changed two lines in
chksession that deleted and recreated the "Default" link.  I changed
"Default" to "default" and gdm took it.  (Just read my posts for clarity
on that. Try at your own risk. :D)

- Kathy