bascule
> i have a friend who uses a zaurus and a linux desktop, not sure of the
> nature  of the connection between the two usb/whatever but i know he
> connects the  two, i believe that the zaurus can become part of his
> local network and he  can simply ssh into whatever box and 'sync' that
> way

The Zaurus uses FTP over IP over USB if that makes any sense. It took me
about 30 minutes of websufing to get the details of how to do it.
Fortunately the stock Mandrake Kernels come with USB codepages that are
almost exactly like you need so in short...
Set up a usb0 interface in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts with the right IP
change the usb codepage so it recognises the Zaurus
Download and install qtopia desktop (or evosync.pl of you like evolution),
theres a kaddressbook synch but I havn't tried it
off you go