On Tuesday September 3 2002 05:23 pm, Vincent Danen wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 15:48, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > > Can all of the messages regarding 9.0, cooker, the release
> > > candidate, or any of the betas please be posted to the cooker
> > > mailing list?
> >
> >    No, wouldn't be a good idea anyhow IMO
>
> You say it's not a good idea, then you don't bother to explain why.
> Good going.

   My opinion is the explaination (and thanks for the compliment), based
on my wonderin why "messages regarding 9.0, cooker, the release
candidate, or any of the betas" are any less appropriate than mesgs
'bout other Mandrake versions that aren't "currently released
products".  Are posts concerning Mdk 7.2 off limits too?

> > > This really is not an appropriate forum for those messages and,
> > > chances are, the developers may not even see them.
> >
> >    Your opinion, don't bet on it
>
> Really.  And why not?  Have you gone around to ask which developers
> read the expert list.

    Don't have to. Posts to the newbie and expert mailing lists, even
the Mdk newsgroup are often cited, often even quoted in part or full on
the cooker list, by participants as well as some of the Mdk employees.
So I believe you already lost the bet.

> > > The expert list is for Mandrake support on currently released
> > > products, not "in-progress" products.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> >    Are you in charge, is this really the rule to follow ? If so, I
> > suggest you start with the Mandrake newsgroup first ;>>
>
> No, I'm not in charge (and I really don't see why that would matter
> anyways).  I also don't think the Mandrake newsgroup is
> Mandrake-operated, so I don't really care about the newsgroup.  This
> mailing list, however, has a specific mandate, and it is not to
> discuss cooker/beta problems.  That is for it's own list (aka
> cooker).

     And where is this "mandate" written?  ...and do you really believe
even if it were to exist, it would be respected? ... much less
enforceable?  The first stated request everybody's sent in the
'Welcome' mesg to a Mdk list is 'please don't post HTML'

> >    I believe your request is kind'a tardy, as in about 9 days,
> > discussion about 8.x or earlier will be obsolete by your rule ;p
>
> You're right.  But it has to start somewhere.  And if it doesn't
> start now, then we will forever have bug reports posted here that end
> up going nowhere.

     Ignore 'em if you want a good idea. I read 'em. I know I tend to
disregard the <"current version sucks, wasn't tested, released too
soon"> posts along with the usual <"I'm going back to..">, or <"7.2 was
the best"> posts. Any list.

> Besides.  There will come a time when 9.1 is in beta, and if it is
> generally understood that this is not the place for beta reports,
> then 9.1 beta cycle will be better...  bugs will be responded to and
> corrected with out creating additional work for already over-worked
> developers.

   9.1 will be in beta in about 10 days or so. And what's a 'beta'
anyhow ?  Whatever version of Linux you're runnin Vincent, any distro,
is beta, a work "in-progress". IMO, the older it is the more beta it
was.    YMMV, I've had enough to say