Scott St. John grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:09:23 -0500, Vox wrote
> >   wu-ftpd has a looong history of bad security, so the mdk people has
> >   (wisely, IMNSHO) chosen to use proftpd. But wu-ftpd does seem to be
> >   in cooker, so...they may just have gotten rid of it on the release
> >   ISOs.

I tried looking into proftpd a while back, but the problem with it is that
it doesn't have the flexibility that wuftpd does in terms of configuration.
I need to be able to define what passive ports it advertises to the outside
world.

For example, my /etc/ftpaccess file has the following lines in it:

passive address 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.0/24
passive address <my.public.ip.address> 0.0.0.0/0
passive ports 0 4000 4100

This tells it to advertise itself as being an IP address of 192.168.1.102
if the incoming connection is any machine on the local home network.
Coming from anywhere else, it advertises the IP address of my DSL router (I
put the "<my.public.ip.address>" where the IP address usually goes).  I
have a cron job which runs every now and then to make sure I'm set with the
correct IP address for the world at large, or else passive connections
won't work too well... :-)  This is one of the big ones for me - I need to
have this.  Will proftpd provide a way of doing this?  Like I said, I
looked into it some time ago and just couldn't find a way to set those
things up.

> I am glad they left it out, it sent me looking for alternatives and found a
> perfect replacement!  Pure-Ftp.  I compiled it to use a MySQL database for
> login information so our staff can now grant FTP access with a web interface
> I am writting in PHP.  They claim to have a great security record and it was
> designed from the ground up with the Linux kernel in mind.  Check it out:
> http://www.pureftpd.org/

I will look into this as well.  Same question as what I posed above,
though:  Will it allow you to configure how it advertises its IP address to
a remote client for purposes of PASV mode?

Security issues or not, I feel that Mandrake should have left it in as an
available choice in the distribution.

                --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!