On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:29:45 -0500 Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Redhat is right in this issue. A user, particularly a new user, should get a
> consistent look and feel from ALL their apps by default.  That is a basic UI
> design DO.  Different look, feel, behavior for each app is a MAJOR DON'T. So,
> go one better than Redhat and make several different unified themes for
> integrating gnome and kde instead of the one, but still (as with Redhat)
> leave the option for people to break proper UI design and stick a different
> look/feel on each app/class.

Except that, even with the ingenious Red Hat tricks, the UIs of Gnome and
KDE are _not_ identical; the underlying differences in behaviour can't be
hidden except with rewriting.

At some point I feel somebody is going to break cover and do one of two
things:

- supply a 'corporate' distribution with _one_ of those window managers,

- fork KDE or Gnome or both to completely unify the behaviour.

Either will spark off the mother and father of all howls (this one was
merely a small child :)

Also note that the Mandrake gtk2 theme, plus the Crux metacity theme, brings
Gnome surprisingly close to the default (blue) KDE 3 theme ...

Alastair