At 02.58 06/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]

I have this problem too and it's due (in my case) to the lan hardware
(Alcatel OmniSwitch/Router).
If the Linux box (all versions MDK and RH) doesn't make any traffic the
switch will not know the linux IP address so the Linux box won't be
assigned to any VLAN, consequently it will not be pingable from any machine
(neither from inside the switch).
The workaround was to make the linux box do some pings scheduled as a cron
job (as another person says in this same message, below).
One good practice was , too, to put in the switching hardware an ARP table
entry for the IP address of the linux box setting it to be permanent and
published (so it's always "active" and "visible" on the lan).
And, I've discovered recently, the same thing is to be done on the linux
box with the command ARP.
example:

arp -i eth0 -s "your ip address" "your mac address"

to have the ip associated permanently to the mac address

arp -i eth0 -s "your ip address" "your mac address" pub

to have it also published

So the linux box will know "better" what mac address is bound to what
interface.
I know , it should already know, but -always- if the linux box has two or
more nics, in the ARP cache table of the switch I found the right ip
address of the linux box associated with the WRONG mac address!
So the switch did forward the right traffic to the WRONG linux nic.

That's my experience.

Of course these are all workarounds, if there's someone that knows how to
fix it (almost) permanently, please do! (don't know, maybe fiddling in
/proc/net there's a parameter to fix this...just a guess)

Live long and prosper :)

Michele