On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:47:57 -0400 "Mark Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,

> > > This seems plausible but it seems like it should give the same
> > > results in Win2K. Or maybe there's something else that MS is doing
> > > to preserve the ARP cache entry that Linux isn't?
> >
> > Actually, I was refering to the network itself...  think of a VLAN as
> > a bridge/switch...  each port keeps tabs on which computer(s) (MAC
> > address(es)) is/are attached -- for a period of time.  If the network
> > expires the cache identifying which ports the W2K and server are
> > connected to, then any subsequent packet in one/both directions can't
> > be delivered to a specific port since the destination port is no
> > longer known... in this case, the network device should flood any
> > unicast packets (as though they were broadcast) to all ports in the
> > hope that the target host gets the packet and responds -- the initial
> > [flooded] packet should refresh the network device's cache for one end
> > and if the target responds, refresh the cache for the other
> > end/direction...
> >
> > If either end host expires its ARP cache, it should re-ARP for the
> > destination...  If the network device does not flood unicast packets
> > after expiring a cache entry; I'd consider that a bug...  since VLANs
> > are the equivalent of a single subnet, no routers/gateways are
> > involved-- except to create a VLAN over a routed network -- smoke and
> > mirrors...:^)
> >
> > > By the way, I had originally claimed that I wasn't running any
> > > firewalls or packet filtering software. I should clarify that by
> > > saying that I don't have either of the iptables or ipchains rpm's
> > > installed and don't see anything else firewall-ish running in any of
> > > my services config files. There is still, of course, msec which is
> > > currently set to it's lowest level of security. My impression was
> > > that it didn't handle firewall duty, at least not at its lowest
> > > level. True?
> >
> > msec may control security; but it does not control/limit any packet
> > flows...  if iptables/ipchains are not running, then packets should
> > just flow...
> >
> > While the connection is OK, try "arp -a" (don't know the W2K equiv.)
> > and make sure the other host is in the table; when it fails,
> > recheck... if the other host's MAC is still there (both ends), then
> > the network is likely at fault.  Could be a VLAN misconfiguration...
>
> Okay, so from my dhcp laptop I ran "arp -a" (yep, it's the same under
> Win2K) while I had an active happy connection to mybox and it lists
> mybox by its IP and MAC. Likewise mybox lists my laptop in its arp
> output. Five or six minutes the ssh connection has died and arp no
> longer lists mybox. mybox, on the other hand, still has the entry in its
> listing which is consistent at least since it never has any trouble
> ping'ing the laptop.
>
> Seems like this doesn't quite fit the pattern but is it still a sign of
> a misconfigured VLAN or something else?

If every piece of s/w stuck to the rules, everything would just work...
:^)

>From what you say, it appears that the ARP entry in the laptop is
expiring...  when the OS gets a packet for delivery, if an IP-to-ARP entry
is available, it uses that entry...  if no entry, it should broadcast an
ARP-request in an attempt to re-populate the entry...  failure to re-ARP
is a bug IMO...

Once the end-systems have their ARP entries, they can communicate -- if
there are routers, switches, VLANs, etc in between, these should "do the
right thing" to not interfere with the packets; that's why switches
without MAC-to-port mappings flood unicast packets...

HTH,
Pierre