On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:10:18 -0400 "Mark Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From what you say, it appears that the ARP entry in the laptop is
> > expiring...  when the OS gets a packet for delivery, if an IP-to-ARP
> > entry is available, it uses that entry...  if no entry, it should
> > broadcast an ARP-request in an attempt to re-populate the entry...
> > failure to re-ARP is a bug IMO...
> >
> > Once the end-systems have their ARP entries, they can communicate --
> > if there are routers, switches, VLANs, etc in between, these should
> > "do the right thing" to not interfere with the packets; that's why
> > switches without MAC-to-port mappings flood unicast packets...
>
> Okay, so I am understanding correctly. The switch between mybox and the
> laptop is likely not flooding unicast packets in response to the ping.

No...  re-read the above...  The first paragraph talks ONLY about the
laptop; not the switch...  I'm saying the laptop is losing the ARP
entry....  When you ping, the first thing that happens is that the laptop
ARPs for the destination; that get flooded because it's a broadcast...
when the target replies, the switch inserts a MAC-to-port entry so that
when the FIRST ping packet (after the ARP) arrives as a unicast, the port
the target is on is now known.  The bug is in the IP stack which services
the TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc stacks.

> Now we'll just have to see if our LAN admin will see this as a gross
> affront to their ego or whether they'll be interested in fixing the
> problem. If not(and I'm not exactly holding my breath) I have a
> practical workaround.

Don't go getting egg on your face... :^)  What I said was that the
*laptop* appears to be the cause of your problems by losing the ARP entry
and failing to re-ARP when a packet wants to go to "target" and "target"
has no ARP entry in the laptop...

HTH,
Pierre