On Wednesday 16 October 2002 08:18 pm, Gabriel Phoenix wrote:
> For those who don't have a clue what I am talking about...

> Nice little toy to play with. This particular model has an AGP slot.
> Home entertainment control center anyone?

> Thoughts and Opinions

Ain't they cute!  I've got an SS40 (Athlon flavor) with an 80GB hd and
Mandrake 8.2 tucked up under my desk acting as a file and print server.  It's
headless, but during setup I didn't have any problem with the video (not that
the setup really stresses it much).

The only thing that's completely befuddled me is ACPI:  I've compiled the
patches into the mandrake kernel on my Vaio laptop and it works reasonably
well.  On the shuttle, ACPI works, localhost works, but the network card
suddenly can't find the outside world.  Booting back to the original kernel
restores the network.  Really, really frustrating, as Athlons without ACPI
tend to be little space heaters... (As do P4's, I'm sure, I just haven't
bought an intel chip in a few years.)

So, anyway, if you're looking for a fileserver and are short on space, or are
just tired of the regular form factor, it's mostly wonderful.

> Gabriel

Barry