On Wednesday 16 October 2002 09:31 pm, Gabriel Phoenix wrote:

> Encouraging, the thing is the chips (all?) are different between models.
> Interested in that heat sink (overall heat) and noise levels. Does your
> file server have a small load or high load? Basically I am wondering how
> well it would take to 24/7 operation, or at least being on 24/7. I have
> toasted a few HDs.

1)  Yeah, the heat sink is really weird, but it seems to be effective.
2)  It has essentially no load -- a few friends use it as offsite (for them)
backup via ssh and it's my print server.  No parallel port -- I'm using USB
for printing.
3)  Yes, it's on 24/7, and has been for the two months I've owned it.
4)  I've placed it to be out of the way instead of maximizing ventilation, so
there's definitely a warm draft of air coming up from under the desk.  The
fan in noticable only in the late afternoon when the air temperature is such
that it continually bounces between its low and medium settings.  Otherwise
it's quiet enough that I don't notice.
5)  It's put together really well.  Certainly not a gold-plated case, but
much, much better than the Fry's bottom-of-the-barrel specials that I've
played with before.
6)  And it's really, really cute.  ;-)

Basically, if ACPI worked, I would have no hestitation at all telling you to
pick up one and start playing.  Right now, though, I can't tell you the
processor temperature, and that makes me nervous.

Overall, I'd say go ahead and get one.

If I get some time over the next couple of days, I might try taking it offline
and trying a vanilla kernel + ACPI, and then start playing with the bios if
that doesn't work.  I'll let you know if I find anything new.

So let me ask you:  any experience with ACPI?

> Thanks, Gabriel

Barry