On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 23:40, Barry Rountree wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 October 2002 08:18 pm, Gabriel Phoenix wrote:
> > For those who don't have a clue what I am talking about...
>
> > Nice little toy to play with. This particular model has an AGP slot.
> > Home entertainment control center anyone?
>
> > Thoughts and Opinions
>
> Ain't they cute!  I've got an SS40 (Athlon flavor) with an 80GB hd and
> Mandrake 8.2 tucked up under my desk acting as a file and print server.  It's
> headless, but during setup I didn't have any problem with the video (not that
> the setup really stresses it much).
>
> The only thing that's completely befuddled me is ACPI:  I've compiled the
> patches into the mandrake kernel on my Vaio laptop and it works reasonably
> well.  On the shuttle, ACPI works, localhost works, but the network card
> suddenly can't find the outside world.  Booting back to the original kernel
> restores the network.  Really, really frustrating, as Athlons without ACPI
> tend to be little space heaters... (As do P4's, I'm sure, I just haven't
> bought an intel chip in a few years.)
>
> So, anyway, if you're looking for a fileserver and are short on space, or are
> just tired of the regular form factor, it's mostly wonderful.
>

> > Gabriel
>
> Barry

Encouraging, the thing is the chips (all?) are different between models.
Interested in that heat sink (overall heat) and noise levels. Does your
file server have a small load or high load? Basically I am wondering how
well it would take to 24/7 operation, or at least being on 24/7. I have
toasted a few HDs.

Thanks, Gabriel