hans privat wrote:
hi Ron,
first - thanks for your answer.
but have a lot of open questions anyway.
the script you mentioned, I have downloaded. but for example, I don't
have a setted up DNS yet.

Now - I have 3 workstations and 1 (designated) firewall. and maybe, the
workstations would be grow in the future.
Your ISP has a couple of name servers. These will be set up automatically by dhcp or kppp on internet log on for the gateway machine. The results are the file /etc/resolv.conf These name servers are being constantly updated on a world-wide basis, so your lan machines should use these same name servers and not attempt a local name server. This is easily achieved by a one-time copy of /etc/resolv.conf to each of the lan machines.

The static IP addresses of your lan machines that you have assigned are made known to each other by setting them up by hand in /etc/hosts and then one-time copying that file to all machines (see 'exports' below). Make sure for each machine that the name search order starts with 'hosts' in /etc/nsswitch, so that name search always starts with your /etc/hosts file before going out to your ISP's name servers. Ping each of your machines from each other _by_name_ to test this.

Having done that, and set up masquerading in your firewall, the only other thing to set up is /etc/exports in each machine (you cannot export the / directory!) and run exportfs -r so that you can mount things from all the lan machines on each of the lan machines. Create the mount points and put all the mount information into the /etc/fstab of each machine. exportfs is from the nfs-utils RPM which may not have been installed.

Crystal clear now?

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
troels... now updated to use sunet.se server.