hans privat wrote:
hi,
in a sysadmin-book I've read, that with kernel 2.4 the "iptables"
should be used.

now I have done a lookup with lsmod and have seen, that there was NO
iptables but an ipchains.
You have the iptables RPM installed. Good! But you must now delete the ipchains ROPM - use kpackage to do that.

then I have done a rmmod ipchains and was trying at first a modprobe
iptables. the answer was " there is no iptables-modul",
then I tried it again with insmod iptables, but got this here :
[root@jojobaer /]# insmod iptables
insmod: iptables: no module by that name found
Don't worry about this.  Leave the kernel modules to look after themselves.

Now I was looking with locate iptables and have found it in
"/sbin/iptables".

Is there no module available, called "iptables" for mdk 8.2 ?
No.

and what is this prog "/sbin/iptables" ?
That is the guts of it. You use this to install and maintain the iptables rules.

how to use it ?
man iptables

am sorry about my bloody questions, but have never done a job with
masquerading and firewalls - so these are my first steps with it.
right now I'm understanding only "moon" of about all these things. hope,
anybody can help me here !!!!
A very simple way to get set up is to download to /etc/iptables the rc.iptables-2.3.8pre7 script from:

http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

cd to /etc/iptables, and customise it with an editor as explained in the script, then:

./rc.firewall-2.3.8pre7
-- to install or reinstall it,
iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-- to save it from the kernel for auto reinstall after every boot

then you will have a nice firewall with masquerading, without even rebooting!

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
troels... now updated to use sunet.se server.