On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 09:34, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2002 20:33:53 -0700 James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Pierre back down Please.  This is a neat tool yes.  It does have it's
> > place yes.  It doesn't add any more traffic than normal pings.
>
> Neat tools in the hands to those who are troubleshooting are fine,
> especially when used correctly...  my flame was directed at those who just
> use troubleshooting tools to see some cool display which does nothing more
> than warm their hearts when things are fine, then causes them to whine
> when everybody else (other than themselves) does the same thing and
> impacts the "neat", "cool" display that now makes them think things are no
> longer good...
>
> > Take a
> > look at the tool and it's algorithms.  You'll find that the numbers it
> > produces are only accurate on a Lan but over a connection from say an
> > office to the local Telco, level 3 etc etc.  It can be very useful for
> > providing proof that Your Unix box isn't the reason you've been
> > experiencing a 40% drop in traffic speed over the last 3 months.  (Yes
> > Level 3 and Pac Hell have both told me that our Linux Firewalls and
> > servers were the reason that our t-3 had intermittent speed drops of 75%
> > or more at really unusual times.) As if running M$ crap would suddenly
> > make a bad fiber splice good again. (Bing proved the slowdown.  and an
> > OTDR showed the location of the break.)
>
> Again, that was NOT my beef...
>
> BTW, Jack and I corresponded offline and while the problem he initially
> decribed was low throughput on a DS-3, the problem was in a LAN switch
> feeding the DS-3 -- I don't have all the details; but if the switch was
> droppig into 10mbps mode as he suggested at one point, that would limit
> the DS-3 throughput to that same 10mbps...   actually, he told me 10 one
> way and 5 the other...
>
> BUT, he also had a level of CRC errors which was too high for comfort; but
> not enough diagnostic output from one device to further characterize
> them...
>
> Tools are great when used by those that understand their use, impact,
> effectiveness and affect on what's being measured, etc...  those who go
> "Oooooh!  COOL tool!" are often not in that category.
>
> Anyway Jack's problem was "solved" by replacing a bad switch.
>
> The biggest problem I see on the 'net is the total incompetence at many
> ISPs (most haven't even heard of an OTDR); but that's for another rant...
> :^)  Suffice it to say, ISPs have lots of diagnostic information
> available; the biggest problem is that they don't have the foggiest idea
> where it is, or how to look at it, let alone analyze it...

On the last point I agree.  Problems stemmed from an era when if you
could breath and say computer you got a job.  (and if you were 19 it was
even better.)  Experience is however slowly rearing it's head.  (Now if
we can just keep the universities at bay for a few more years it might
work *grin*) BTW I love Bing for doing long term tests on intermittent
slowdowns.  (Bad LAN switch being a good example of what I've used it
for.)

James