On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 19:46, Pierre Fortin wrote:
<snip>
> <flame>
>
> Folks,
>
> Let's look at the problem in terms of cars and roads...
>
> DSL/Cable:  like driving up/down your own driveway...  easy to determine
> how may cars you can put on it.
>
> DS-3: like trying to determine the traffic capacity of a freeway by
> sending more cars onto it without knowing the current traffic situation.
<snip>

First, you assume that I don't know the current user or bandwidth load
of the circuit, when in fact I know both and am working with my ISP to
troubleshoot a problem.

<snip>
> "Tools" like this are unscientific and in an indirect way a DDoS attack on
> the network.

And second, you assume that bing is in the same class as rape.c. From
the highly edifying man page:
DESCRIPTION
       Bing determines bandwidth  on  a  point-to-point  link  by
       sending  ICMP  ECHO_REQUEST  packets  and  measuring their
       roundtrip times for different packet sizes on each end  of
       the link.

The actual packet stream used to measure bandwidth on the DS-3 was 3.6
kbps.

<snip>
> </flame>
>
> Pierre