Comments Inline

Franki wrote on Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:38:46AM +0800 :

> that index.cgi script is one I wrote that just prints different html pages
> depending on the page name
> passed to it via query string.... very very basic stuff, nothing even
> remotely CPU intensive.

But could be disk intensive.  High system loads are usually indicative
of the I/O subsystem being much slower than the kernel is trying to push
or pull information to/from it.

Can't be that disk intensive, its only printing a max of 40 lines of html
each time.. and that would all be drawn into memory  while perl is compiling
it.. (overall the script is about 100 lines long..

>  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [PTBL] [5005/255/63] p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7
p8
> p9 p10 p11 p12 p13 >

Show me:
  cat /proc/ide/hda/settings
  rpm -q hdparm
  cat /etc/sysconfig/harddisks*

I added hdparm -Tt /dev/hda to that so you can see what its capable off...
its not lightning fast, but with the ATA card in there, its far faster then
the original IDE controller would have been.

See results below.

[root@home root]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  2.85 seconds = 44.91 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.38 seconds = 18.93 MB/sec

[root@home root]# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
acoustic                0               0               254             rw
address                 0               0               2               rw
bios_cyl                5005            0               65535           rw
bios_head               255             0               255             rw
bios_sect               63              0               63              rw
breada_readahead        8               0               255             rw
bswap                   0               0               1               r
current_speed           69              0               70              rw
failures                0               0               65535           rw
file_readahead          124             0               16384           rw
ide_scsi                0               0               1               rw
init_speed              69              0               70              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
lun                     0               0               7               rw
max_failures            1               0               65535           rw
max_kb_per_request      128             1               255             rw
multcount               16              0               16              rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
nowerr                  0               0               1               rw
number                  0               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               1               0               1               rw
wcache                  0               0               1               rw
[root@home root]#

[root@home root]# rpm -q hdparm
hdparm-4.6-1mdk
[root@home root]#

nothing in this.. I never edited it.

[root@home root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/harddisks*
# USE_DMA=1

# MULTIPLE_IO=16

# (E)IDE 32-bit I/O support (to interface card)
#
# EIDE_32BIT=3

# LOOKAHEAD=1

#EXTRA_PARAMS=